Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yesterday

Well I seem to have gotten my strength fully back and yesterday Tom and I went to the Wild Animal Park in San Diego, we are members of both it and the Zoo so our passes are paid for, essentially we got in for "free" meaning we didn't have to pay just show our passes.  Parking was $6.00 for members and we got to park not too far away, section 2, last parking space so short uphill walk to the main entrance.  We then walked through the bird aviary and then down and around the monkey area, but instead of going right to the Gorillas we went left to the elevator lift to take us down to the Journey Into Africa Tram Tour. 

Tom had planned the day to make the walking as minimal for me as possible (with my ankle) and to make it as stress free with the heat (for March it turned out to be a bit of a hot day).

So we walked from the elevator not too far to the Journey Into Africa Tram Tour and had about a 10 minute wait, then boarded the Tram.

There are reviews on this site of the wild animal park and I intend to put my words from here there to lean toward the favorable:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/san-diego-wild-animal-park-san-diego

The tram ride was great and free with our membership passes, it took us over 2 1/2 miles: we saw a cheetah dozing in the sun, she actually picked up her head and alerted on something so got a good view of her (Considering she sleeps 20 hours a day our tour guide (funny and informational guy) said that was a burst of energy for her (grins).  Lots of gazelle and water buffalo, giraffe's, large and about a year old  rhino's,  wildebeest with a baby in the middle of their U shaped defensive positions different types of birds, and at the end or the beginning as you can walk by it before you go on the ride, there were two female lions lounging on a jeep top and hood and a  male lion, sleeping on a big box set up right before a big window in a wall you could look at, I mean you will NEVER get that close to a lion in your life.  Poor thing though, every time he opened his eyes someone would take a flash picture and he'd have to close his eyes again.


I have to say the animals were not hard to see at all, and only someone who expected to be nose to nose with them like at a zoo and they are right in front of you with only glass between you would be disapointed.  We did not need binoculars or anything and the Tram went around so if you did not see an animal close enough from one side of that area of the park when it made it's way around you would close from the other side.

So then we got off the tram and walked over to see the side view of the lionesses and the front view of the male lion, and walked to a cooling off area (children mostly (made up like a playground) but adults were welcome also and I splashed my head and upper body with water while Tom took a picture without me knowing it LOL.

Then a bit more walking and a ADA van came along and the gentleman gave us a ride up the hill to the administration building where we had a short walk out of the Wild Animal Park and down to the car..

You can bring in your own drinks and food if you want, we had eated before we went and we brought in water bottles and refilled them at the many water fountains over the area of the park we went through.

So total not counting the price of the year long Zoo/Wild Animal Park pass? $6.00 for parking.

Next time Tom wants to rent two scooters at $30 a piece so we can see the whole park, not a bad price, and probably pretty good for me with my ankle and my fatigue from the chemo and cancer.

Then we came home, rested, ate a bit and then went out to see a movie: "Date Night" Great movie, very funny and a lot of good previews we are vowing we want to see.

A wonderful day and time and Thank You so much to my Love, my Life, my Miracle, Tom for making it so.

(Today is rest day for me (grins) although I don't feel bad right now, don't want to get to where I do, especially as next Monday is chemo treatment once again).

No comments:

Post a Comment