Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Colon Cancer and recovery

I had my hernia surgery on the 10th and today is the first time I have felt like getting on the computer. The hernia surgery went well but my Surgeon came to me right before starting surgery (Before the wonderful drugs were adminstered) and asked me, "Marsha, do you really want to go through this?" I asked why and she said "There is a lot of cancer in your lungs, this can be a tough surgery to recover from and I wanted you to understand that" I asked her, her professional thoughts and she said "Let's do the surgery" I was in the hospital over night. very nice nurses. Only had pain when I had to get up or down to go to the bathroom and they helped me with the moving then a wonderful shot of demorol would come. Tom and I did not prepare well for the hurdles at home of getting up from the bed or down onto the bed or lying comfortably in bed so finally yestereday we went and bought a walker, not to help me walk as I can do that pretty good of slowly, put as support to get into or out of bed and a wedge for me to lay on instead of rolled blankets and pillows and it seems to work great.


I have started to see a Therapist/Social Worker, for now once a week to talk over issues and to help me learn where these panic attacks and some of my emotional problems are coming from. Still having pain and taking percocet but doing well, losing weight as I really have no appetite. I saw my Surgeon for a check up yesterday and all is healing well, I asked her about her question to me before surgery and she said she just wanted me to be aware of the recovery time and balance that against my cancer. I see her again on the 3rd of October and am going to try to call today to see if I can get in to see my Oncologist the same day.

This is the short version and will add to it later as I feel up to it, thank you all for your prayers and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment