Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Oncologists Visit

So I went in yesterday for a two week follow up and instead of seeing my Oncologists PA guess who I saw? Yes my Oncologist (dang it)

So went in and had my blood drawn (through my arm again) then got weight, temp and BP taken and waited about 15 minutes for the Onocologist.

We actually spoke and I am not kidding you for .... FIVE MINUTES.

I gave him my paperwork for my hernia surgery, he glanced at it, gave it back and said;

"Well the clinical trial is willing to take you on even though you reported them to the FDA, they've passed and are going to start doing treatments so once you get done with the surgery and are recovering contact me and we will start to get you in to get treatments and they will waive the $15,000 fee."

I was so stunned I said "Ah huh"

He then said "The only side effects are fevers and night sweats".

Then he hustled us out of there.

First. I did NOT report this place http://www.immunocare.net to the FDA, I "called" the FDA and asked about the clinical trials and them wanting $15,000 up front.

Second, I checked the website of the clinical trial, it's an Immunovative treatment, not a chemotherapy and since there was no phone number on their website I called one of the related links http://www.biomedirb.com/ which happens to oversee the clinical trial for the first place.

This is what I found from the woman I talked to at the second place:

Immunovative Clinical Research, Inc. (The first place) is on clinical hold by the FDA (she has no idea why) so no new patients are being accepted and indeed no patients at all are going forward through the clinical trial.

The side effects indeed are fevers, some high and night sweats.

She then gave me the actual phone number for the first place and I called and had to leave a message for someone to call me back. I am going to try to call the San Diego FDA office tomorrow to find out why they are put on clinical hold as like I said the woman from the second place could not tell me why and could not assure me that once I am done with surgery and healed that they would have certification to continue the "trials" as they are still in the trial phase and not the "treatment" phase as my Oncologist would have had me believe.

So just another day in my life. Oh Tom had his 45th birthday on Saturday but since He worked we celebrated on Sunday, I bought him about 13th presents (all T-shirt and long sleeved fleece shirts from BigDog.com as he loves their shirts) got a musical card and baked him a birthday cake (i did okay with the baking and frosting but I SUCK at writing "Happy Birthday Tom" in piped frosting LOL) He loved it all and we had a great weekend (His of Sunday and Monday) together.

I am feeling better week by week but now having weird muscle aches and have to take aleve or something and use the hot pad, I wonder if it's just arthritis but it hurts!. And I can't wait till September 10th to have this alien baby (my hernia) fixed LOL. I am serious it looks weird, imagine a pudgy stomach with one side lumped up to what a full stomach would look like with a eight month pregnancy and since part of my colon goes through the hernia? OMG, I jumped when it felt like what would be a baby kicking but was gas going through that exact spot of my colon.  Sick jokes from Tom all the way around.

So will know my CEA levels probably late next week and I am about two 1/2 weeks away from hernia surgery.

(((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))) to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment