Thursday, October 7, 2010

Another update

EDITING TO UPDATE:


I called 9 different Oncologists today to try and get an appointment to see them to change Oncologists and had to leave messages at all of them and no calls back as of yet.

On another hand I called the American Cancer Society early this morning when I woke up (5:30am I seem to be having trouble sleeping, or rather I can fall to sleep constantly but wake up anywhere between 2 and 6am and cannot go back to sleep).

I was transferred to a wonderful woman whom I was able to articulate the question I was asking of my Oncologist. She said she would spend time researching and get back to me. At 6pm this evening she called me back. She had been assigned my case and spent all day researching every medical journal and paper and this is what she told me.

In a case such as mine depending indeed on if there was further damage done to lungs and liver from me being off of chemotherapy for the amount of time I was the consensous is that if I decide not to do any chemotherapy the "general" statistic is eight months, this of course is if I am being treated for the symptoms of the cancer when they show up (i.e. Jaundice, lung pain, ascites, etc) and the "general" statistic if I go back on Folfox 6 with Avasin is 11.7 months.

She made sure to tell me these are not exact time lines but are general timelines from many medical journals, clinical trials and medical papers, I could go further or could have less time. With these statistics I do not feel chemotherapy will benefit me as in my quality of life and unless can be given any other information by another Oncologist or another type of treatment I have decided not to do any treatment.

Tom of course said nothing beyond "It's up to you". Even as I am dealing with this even harder than when I was first diagnosed and had to make the decision on treatment or not.

So will update Wednesday after Tom calls the Oncologist to get the results of the PET scan on Tuesday.

God bless you all and Keith I am going to try to call you I hope it is not to late.

No comments:

Post a Comment