Saturday, April 3, 2010

Have to lose weight and eat healthy

Okay, I HAVE to lose weight. (and so does Tom) This sounds weird coming from someone with my stage cancer huh? Anyways, we are going grocery shopping tomorrow morning and I need good ideas on food or diets someone can direct me too on the internet. (Taking a nap in a few so not doing my own research for once (grin)


So here's what our diet is usually like:

BREAKFAST:

Bagel slathered with cream cheese and strawberry jam 2 whole bagels for Tom (4 halves), 1 (2 halves) for me.

or

Bicuits and sausage with gravy, 4 biscuits (8 halves) for Tom, 2 biscuits (4 halves) for me. Both slathered with sausage fried and white home made gravy mixed with cooked sausage bits and grease.

or

Cereal with milk ~ BIG bowl for Tom, half his size bowl for me. (Golden Grahams his preferred kind, Captain Crunch or some kids sugary cereal for me)

or

Frozen breakfast bag cooked in a bit of oil and eggs scrambled and mixed in. Tom eats his burrito style with cheese slices and I eat mine just like it is.

or

Bacon and eggs and toast.

or

French toast and bacon or Homemade pancakes and bacon ~ 6 slices french toast or three big pancakes for Tom and about 5 pieces of bacon, 2 slices french toast or one big pancake for me and the same amount of bacon.

or

We go out to eat at Denny's or IHOP sometimes

LUNCH

I pack his lunch and he is a creature of habit so each day Tom's lunch is the same (The days he is working: Two double meat sandwhiches with 1 1/2 slice provolone cheese with mustard, one orange, one apple, one chocolate boost (he works 2pm to 10 or 11 pm so takes the boost if he feels tired), one granola snack bar, 8 rollos (chocolate covered carmel candies), 6 chocolate chip cookies or one package of two Little Debbie snack cakes)

My lunch is soup and a lunch meat sandwhich or two lunch meat sandwhiches or a bowl or plate of leftovers (varies)

I snack later during the day; chocolate, make homemade nachos, cookies, ice cream, etc.

DINNER:

Usually premade frozen dinners in bags, and steam fresh vegetables that I put too much butter on, easy to make and fast. One dinner and vegetable bag feeds 2 people, but I dish him out a much larger portion of both the dinner and the vegetables. (Remember dinner is when he comes home from work and after he relaxes for a bit so usually we are eating about 11:30 pm.

Then sometimes a snack after dinner; Ice cream, cheesecake, etc.

I am getting to the point I know I am unhealthy and am worrying about Tom's weight (He is over 350 at this point I know and 6' exactly and I am 5' 3 1/2" and 242.

So before I see my Dr. on Monday for treatment and have to ask him to see a dietician, thought I would ask for help here.

Thanks a bunch all and headed to lay down for a time ((((((((((hugs))))))))))

And in reply to a post someone put down on the colon cancer forum:

Shame faced ~ Sheila we do have vegetables with each dinner the steam fresh kind, easy to fix, I just have to stop putting loads of butter on them and learn to eat them the way they are and enjoy the taste and also buy fresh vegetables and use them before they go bad. Also I do try to do salads once in a while for dinner but the bag salads or the lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc do go bad most of the time before we are half way through them as we don't eat them as much and ranch is our favorite with bleu cheese the next in line for salad dressing so out they go and I am buying vinegrette dressing. Also am going to use your suggestions on buying fresh meat, lean chicken breast, lean turkey, etc and work more on actually cooking than using the store bought high caloric frozen dinners. And going to go to egg beaters and turkey bacon and wheat type bread, more rice also as a side dish (have a rice cooker so why not put it to use?) Also am going to work on other things as I went through our cupboards and am doing a shopping list.


Thank you for your help and ideas Sheila and if anyone else has any ideas before about 11am PST tomorrow let me know, they will be appreciated. (((((((((hugs))))))))))))

Okay back from grocery shopping and Tom is at work.


I woke up this morning before him and cleaned out the bad stuff from the freezer, refrigerator and cupboards (Donated some unopened stuff to a family with kids downstairs and to the right of us).

I made breakfast and coffee for Tom and then spoke to him about what I wanted to buy and how I wanted us to start eating starting Monday, he balked a bit but hey I was buying groceries this time so, my call (grin) and he knows the truth of us both having to lose weight and get healthier.

So, bought fresh vegetables and fruits, salad fixings, Turkey bacon, skinless boneless chicken breasts and skinless boneless turkey breasts, also bought some thin lean steaks, bought vinagrette dressings (low calorie), Egg Beaters and a bunch of other healthy things. I asked Tom to get me wheat bread but he apparently did not hear me so I didn't realize until we were home and I was putting away the groceries that he bought white bread.

Well I guess he can have that for his sandwhiches for lunch which I told him would now consist of two sandwhiches still but with one piece of lunch meat and one piece of provolone cheese instead of the two pieces each he was eating before, (he really didn't like that but I make his lunch so I am going to do what I need to do to make sure he also eats well) and one apple and one orange or another fruit, a banana and a snack bar, no more cookies, Little Debbie cakes or chocolate for either him or me.

I did tell him every Sunday we could have a treat like a small ice cream cup or a small piece of pie or something.

So tomorrow we are having a big nice Easter dinner and then Monday starts the healthy eating and hopefully I will have good news to report in not too long a time in us both feeling healthier and losing some weight.

(smiles)

No comments:

Post a Comment