Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Update to yesterday

Sheila and Lawlet thank you so very much for your words, they both helped me on different levels. I am becoming increasingly anxious each time I even walk into the door of the cancer treatment center and get nauseous immediately upon receiving the flush of saline and heparin in my port when they draw blood (No gum nor mints nor nothing helps, the minute I get that taste I get nauseous although I never actually throw up). I went in and talked to my Oncologists PA and showed her my this blog which I only asked her to read the last post before this one. I did that as I thought maybe my communication skills were lacking and that reading it she might gain a better understanding of how I felt and my concerns. She took quite awhile with me and answered a few of my questions but most at this point she could not. She asked that I go through a few of the Folfox treatments to let us get an idea where my CEA is (Next Thursday I will call to get it as they always run late) she said this first one will spike because of the PET scan findings showing many more mets and growth but the next one should start to give us an idea if the Folfox will indeed work again. Then she suggested we go from there on deciding to go another for the three month mark and get a PET scan and then look further down the line. So with her we are taking it in increments instead of having decide the whole picture before hand.


I have to admit my reaction last night after the whole day and as I went to sleep is I never want to see the inside of the cancer treatment center again. From the first bag hung of the premeds I was totally uncomfortable and then progressed to incontinence and diarrhea, nausea and then stomach pain and cramping, then a horrendous headache and I just wanted to go home. At home again the whole effects started over and the headache did not subside until just before I went to sleep. I can already just barely detect the signs of neuropathy and cold sensitivity but maybe that is because I know what to look for and dread it.

Tom was wonderful through the whole thing, we left here at 8:45am yesterday and returned home at 5:15, so not counting the 45 minute drive there and back it took around 7 and and 1/2 hours or so.

I will go as long as I can on this then when I can go no more I will ask about folfiri and if that is not any option then I will just say I am done and let my body get back to health and enjoy the time I have left with my Tom. Like I said I don't think I will pass anytime soon and if I get a good two years more I will be happy. I don't think that I am a good candidate for any clinical trials as from what I have read from all of them not just in my area, the KRAS mutation pretty much rules me out of the criteria and we cannot travel and there are only two clinical trials in my area right now anyways neither of which I am fit for. As for my Oncologist, Sheila I have stayed with the same one I had simply as I have not had time to go to a second opinion. And you have seen what he is about regarding other options. Now if Kristin, his PA comes up with suggestions, I will listen to her but unless he shows me verifiable information on whatever he suggests for me in any form from now on I don't really have anything to say to him and I won't go along with the suggestion unless like I said before this.

I want to thank you all for being here for me and letting me vent. Today (so far) have a bit of a headache but that is it, but I just woke up an hour ago LOL. Will keep this post updated with any side effects, CEA level when I know it, ongoing treatment with Folfox-6 etc. (((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

Will be back later to read other posts and try to give help and encouraging words. Have a blessed day everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment