Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dr's Visit on 9/8/09

So, Tom and I went to my Dr's for my "Chemo Lessons". They weighed me (I lost 7 lbs. which is actually good as I am overweight at this time ~ yeah go figure someone with terminal cancer overweight LOL)

Then they took my temp, pulse and blood pressure, all good. Tom wants one of the new wrist blood pressure takers (grin).

The PA (Physicians Assistant) came in and gave me all kind of literature about the treatment I will be getting (Folfox 6 which equals leucovorin calcium (calcium folinate), 5-fluorouracil and oxaliplatin and also another drug called Avastin.

She explained the side effects but I really feel like she minimized them from what I have read about other peoples reactions, but she says and it's true that everyone is different so we shall see.

She came me prescriptions for Compazine for the nausea/vomiting, Valium to steady my nerves, Prilosec because I have acid reflux syndrome and the chemotherapy can make it worse ~ I was taking prilosec OTC but she gave me a prescription for a stronger dose. She also gave me Chantix to stop smoking (I get that one filled Sunday and start taking it).

I got my prescriptions filled and because I had asked her to give me a long term supply of all of them when I am about 2/3's way done with a prescription I can call my pharmacy and have them start home delivery through FedEx or UPS.

She answered all my questions regarding getting my port in, pain after, how the chemotherapy will be administered, what the side effects might be, health risks, precautions, etc.

The port will be put in under "twilight sleep" surgery at the hospital and then I will go right over to my Oncologists office (same campus) and get my chemotherapy started. It will be a long day about 6 hours she says.

She said they will give me a prescription for pain after the port is put in (basically they make an incision in the right part of my chest, thread a catheter into the vein, attach the port and then set the incision together.

The side effect she stressed is from the oxaliplatin which can cause neuropathy (tingling in hands and feet) and sensitivity to cold, she told me not to take anything from the freezer or fridge by myself without gloves on or ask someone else to do it. And to let drinks, food etc get room temperature before eating or drinking them. And if I do develop that side effects then my daily dips in the cold pool at our apt. complex are out :(

I will be fatigued she said, no doubt about that, but the medicines I get with the chemotherapy with help the nausea/vomiting. I may or may not have a bit of pain or hair loss.

She took us to the chemotherapy room and explained that I will sit out in the big area at first so they can monitor my reaction to the chemotherapy for a few visits. They will numb the skin over the port with a lidocaine spray so the needle won't hurt.

She said to eat a good breakfast but not fatty and drink lots of fluid before, during and after my chemotherapy. I will be hooked to a pump at the end of the session which will go home with me and deliver the chemotherapy for 46 hours after. Then I have to go in and they disconnect the pump till the next chemotherapy session two weeks later.

I have to get a flu shot but not if it is the "live virus kind" and not the H1N1 ...... yet.

I have to be careful of infections both internally and from cuts, scratches or wounds as my immune system will be compromised and if I get a fever of 100.5 or a scratch or wound gets red or inflamed I am to go to my Oncologists office or the emergency room right away.

So, a ton of reading material and Sep 14th I go in at 7:15am to get the port then go over to start the chemotherapy. On the 16th I go back to have the pump disconnected then go back on the 21st for a checkup on blood work etc. (to see how my white blood cells and platelets are doing)

I am on a every two week chemotherapy session schedule.

I decided there was one thing I am going to control and that is my hair, now it may not fall out or may just thin or may fall out. I had it cut short yesterday as I don't want to put me or Tom through the "OMG my hair is falling out in clumps" thing. (wry grin)

Okay that's all I can think of for now but will update again if not before then after my first day of chemotherapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment