Thursday, September 24, 2009

Questions asked and answered received

Had to call my Oncologist today for a couple of questions.


First I have a tooth that really has been bad for years, I just never took care of it (I know I know your supposed to take care of all these things before you start chemo, but I am a "last minute go to the dentist" and it wasn't bothering me sooooo......)

Anyways the tooth doesn't really hurt, just a bit of pressure and is annoying so I called my Oncologist and the PA said she would prefer that I not have anything done to it unless it is absolutely crucially necessary because of the Avastin I am on. If it gets infected or really hurts they will put me on antibiotics and pain killers until such time it may be feasible for me to get it taken care of.

The next item is back in 2004 I had a bladder lift (my bladder had dropped slightly and I had ummm leaks when I laughed or coughed and accidents at night) at the time the surgeon told me somewhere down the line I "might" have to have it redone.

Fast forward to now, I am having leaks when I cough and laugh and not just a little and accidents in bed. Now at one time in between 2004 and now I had a month or so with little leaks and my Dr. prescribed Detrol that seemed to work.

I go back in on this coming Monday to see my Oncologist and then to get my second chemotherapy session.

And was going to ask the Dr. about this but was wondering should I ask for Detrol or for a referral to a urologist to to see if it's time for another bladder lift (Can I have this type of surgery while having chemotherapy?)

Well Kristin the PA said NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO about surgery while on Avastin, she is phoning in a prescription (the lightest dose) of Detrol for me and we shall see how that works.

Also Monday when I go in to see her and do my second chemotherapy session she is going to give me a narcotic cough medicine prescription as the over the counter stuff isn't touching my cough.

Oh and I called my pharmacy about the Chantrix prescription. They got the certificate fax from 1-800-NO-BUTTS so are going through my Oncologist to get another preauthorization and resubmit the prescription to my insurance again, so about another week ~ The pharmacist told me to come in tomorrow morning and he is going to give me half of a starter pack to start me off "under the table" as he is very concerned about my smoking while undergoing chemotherapy, very cool guy and very very sympathetic to the insurance run around.

All in all, everyone from my Oncologist to the Kristin the PA to the staff at the cancer treatment center to the pharmacists are all so wonderful I feel blessed to know these people and glad to have started my treatment.

Oh and one more thing ~ This Saturday night Tom and I are going to see Kathy Griffin here in San Diego (GRINS) I am so glad it's before I start my 2nd chemotherapy treatment and am sure it will be a wonderful night, will write here and tell you all, all about it.

On a more somber note, one of my online friends from a role playing room just lost her husband at 4:30am this morning to complications from a serious internal infection, my thoughts and prayers have been with her all this day.

Well got my question answered, nope no bladder lift surgery allowed while on Avastin,


P.S  Got a prescription for antibiotics and a pain killer I will pick up tomorrow for the toothache,.my Dr. did give me a prescription for Detrol the lowest dose of it. Hopefully this will help the "leakage" issue.


I love my Oncologist Dr. Clune at Grossmont and his PA Kristin.

Oh also I have to give kudos to Target pharmacy. I am still having problems getting my Chantex prescription through my insurance (hopefully by Tuesday) The pharmacist called me and told me to come in and get enough of the starter pills to last me till tuesday, free of charge.

There are wonderful people in this world (God bless them)

Take care and God bless and I'll post again soon...........................................


P.S

No comments:

Post a Comment