Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Clinical trials my only shot left?

Thank you for your words, you have no idea how much they mean to me. Yes I ate and calmed down. I am going to wait to talk to my Oncologist and see what he has to say, "IF" he has a viable reason for my doing the victibix I will do it. However I truly think he forgot I had the KRAS mutation although I do hope I am wrong. While I was doing the research this was the ONE time in my life I prayed I was wrong but all the information is up to date and says that one of the factors that may influence response to Vectibix is the activity of a gene known as KRAS. Cancers that contain mutated forms of the KRAS gene will not respond to anti-EGFR treatments such as Vectibix. But again perhaps my Oncologist knows something else so will wait to hear from him.


I just know I am not walking into the cancer treatment center on July 19th without an answer to this. From what I have read on the website of Amgen (They make Victibix) and other websites, and what my Oncologist told me and if I remember right seen on this forum from others the major side effect is rash, acne, fissures in the skin that are disfiguring for a time and painful, and I just won't put myself through that for a drug that does not work with my body makeup.

My Oncologist also said he was going to research if Victibix can be used with Avastin, it took me two minutes literally on here to see that it cannot be used without the toxicity increasing and they do not recommend it.

For a bit of good news I did talk to the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Society about something my Oncologist said about researching chemotherapies used for other cancers (breast, uterine, prostrate, pancreatic, lung, etc) to see if any would work for me. The Societies could not tell me of any that would but did tell me that Dr's do this all the time even without FDA approval for the secondary use of that chemotherapy so perhaps he can find something there for me.

I am right now at this time checking for clinic trials in my area and applying online to those I can. So far it totals, 1 and I don't think I am a candidate but will keep pluggin away tonight until Tom comes home from work.

Tom is so calm in all of this and keeps telling me even if there are no options left I won't go downhill right away and pass away, it might take years. I am trying to be brave and strong but I truly did not think we would hit the end of my chemotherapy options in only nine months.

1 comment:

  1. hello

    I know what you are going through, Im 47 with colon cancer to my pelvic, lungs, liver and the oncologist saying no to the same things but Im not giving up hopefully the chemo treatments will help so i can get surgery, I will push and push untill they give me surgery...Its hard when they say no, I said to my oncologist send me to a surgeon and let them say no..I have read they have did surgeries on a liver with 70% covered with tumors and lung Resection. with 5 or tumors, so I think its getting pass the oncologist that are old school and getting one thats new school to refer to a surgeon that can do this. I know its hard to get them thinking outside that box, cause Im in the same boat, trying to get my oncologist to refer me to a surgeon with Avistin the tumors have shrink, so keep up the fight

    wendy

    ReplyDelete